Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mom, my desk is messy!

Well folks, it is time for the next chapter in our ongoing series... "how ridiculous can our schools be". We won't go into closing schools to save money...and then busing kids to schools miles away (anyone look at gas prices) or RELAXING the class size restrictions because they are no longer convenient, or cutting school budgets by impossible amounts.....

Today, lets go back to basics. My son is in 5th grade, he has worked very hard to get on the honor role, he is an A/B student. For various reasons he did make it first quarter (his effort in Art & Math needed improvement), or second(effort again). So he worked his tail off this past quarter and when we went online to check his report card he had all A's and one B. He had all 1's in effort. (1 being satisfactory, 2- needs improvement and 3-unsatisfactory)

In the "Personal Development" Section there are 2 possibilities, S-Satisfactory, and I-Needs Improvement. He has all S's with the exception of "work is organized and neat." Where he got an I.

He came home on Monday with the hard copy of the report card. He was in tears, carrying on because he did not make Honor Roll. So upon closer inspection I see the requirements on the back. You cannot have an "I" in anything on the Personal Development side and make Honor Roll. OK, I think that is reasonable. EXCEPT, you can have a C and a needs improvement in EFFORT in your regular grades and make it. Are you kidding me???
My son was upset because his friend who rides the bus with him had a C and a 2 in effort and he made it. So I did what you would expect and spoke to his teacher to ask what he could do and to also express the fact that this system is ridiculous.

First let me say I really like his teacher, I must share with you why he got an I-needs improvement and his all A, one B report card did not make the honor role.....because his desk is messy. Yes, his desk is messy. SO, my friends in case I lost you earlier, let me sum it up for you.

In our school system, you can get a C and exhibit BELOW AVERAGE EFFORT and make the Honor Role. You can get all A's and one B. Exhibit Satisfactory Effort, but you may not make the Honor Role because your DESK IS MESSY.

Am I the only one out there that finds this to be beyond assinine?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Anonymous said...

that happened to my daughter in 4the grade at Read-Patillo. Who comes up with these criteria?

Anonymous said...

You have got to be joking, can you not escalate this to anyone higher. Why would the teacher care if his desk is messy, evidently it has no impact on his ability to make ABOVE AVERAGE grades.

This is why America is going to hell in a hand basket. I think I would continue to scream until something change - most likely the comment about his desk and the mark.

Kaley

Anonymous said...

other than closing schools to bus kids miles(as you pointed out) this is on the top of the most retarded thing I have heard in a long time. When did a messy desk become more important than excellent academics. I just looked at my sons report card, you are so right, the back shows that a C gets Honor role and you can exhibit below average effort. BUT MISS ONE SINGLE "personal development" goal you lose.

Anonymous said...

one more thing, the category is "work is organized and neat" WORK is not your desk. This is silly.

Ann said...

Let's see, how many successful, brilliant Americans have neat desks? Probably not many. Pleaaase! It would be one thing if the kid with the C's didn't make the honor role but it makes it even more stupid when he does. No wonder some kids give up trying. PS What does your desk look like, Rox? Hee hee!

nsbmom said...

it is a disaster as you are well aware!!!!

Anonymous said...

this is silly .. why would you do that ..