Saturday, May 17, 2008

Growing Up


Do you remember 5th grade? I remember it well, my teacher was Mr. Jones, he was the first teacher to make me stand in the hall. I think he threw an eraser at me once or twice.....

My son is in fifth grade, headed to a small private middle school next year, Volusia County and their nonsense forced that decision. Anyway, this past Friday was the "fifth grade video". You remember the one....the boys see one video, the girls another. The "sex video"

We all saw it in fifth grade, when I saw it the mom's came and saw it with the girls and the dad's with the boys. Here I had to sign a permission slip for him to see it and if you really were worried they would send it home for you to preview....apparently the video has not changed much since we were in
school in the 70's.

My son came home with a little pamphlet about puberty and a little thing of Old Spice deodorant. I asked him if he had any questions about what he saw, he looked at me sort of cross eyed, like "WHAT???" I said to him if you have questions that you don't want to talk to me about you can talk to your Uncle Rick or Uncle Robby, I was dead serious.

The kid looked at me and burst out laughing..."MOM, I know all this, and I can ask you anything"....OK, this is good that he can ask me anything, since DAD is no where to be found...BUT WHAT? you know all this???

Perhaps they need to start showing the video in third grade, since my third grade daughter was quick to point out that she "heard" the video was stupid....please help me.....I feel like I am a hundred years old...and I really want someone to send me to the hall and throw an eraser at me....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are old, the video I saw was a video of a video...and I thinl it was on one of those reel to reel movies, that really ages us!!

Anonymous said...

They know way more than we want them to.

Ann said...

LOL! No, the information isn't much better. Only now, you have to watch what is taught along with it. Like homosexual relationships are normal for both homosexuals and heterosexuals and that it is ok to explore anything.