Thursday, June 5, 2008

Don't Forget The Teachers




School's out tomorrow, my third grader made a great point this morning. She said "Mom, school is out tomorrow, don't forget our teachers." I am ashamed to say I almost did. Each year the kids pick out a small gift for their teachers and we also give them a gift card. I almost forgot. Luckily I have a 9 year old who has the memory like an elephant and often serves as my conscience.

Volusia County teachers have had a really rough year, they are the victims of our brilliant government leaders, the voters and the school board. Much of what is happening to them is not their doing, my son's teacher is losing his job at the end of the year, he is young energetic and enthusiastic. There is a lucky school district out there that is going to get him, through all the turmoil, and knowing he is losing his job he has taught on and done a great job.

I believe that it takes a special person to be a teacher, they sure don't do it for the pay or the glory...so take a minute and recognize your children's teacher. They will appreciate it, it does not have to be fancy or expensive just let them know you appreciate all their efforts.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read you every day and I am a teacher in Volusia, they closed our school today. Thanks for the kind words. I am moving to a new school 45 minutes from my home and putting another good teacher out of work. Nice.