Monday, December 8, 2008

Menu Plan Monday



Do you plan meals for the week? My favorite way to plan has always been to figure out which nights we will eat out. The financial state of my business has changed all that and I am going to be forced to be organized, plan meals and spend less, a lot less. So... in that effort we are joining our friends over at Org Junkie in planning meals for the week. I looked at her past participation and was shocked to see how many (well over 300) participants there were.

My challenge is my daughter is a terribly picky eater and many nights eats cereal if I don't make her a separate meal, she won't eat vegetables except corn and potatoes and is a real pain in the you know what at dinner time. So if you have any ideas for her let me know....

Here goes:

Monday - Spaghetti, Garlic Bread & Salad

Tuesday - Roast Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Corn & More Salad

Wednesday -Baked Fish, Brown Rice & a vegetable that is yet to be determined

Thursday - Chicken Strips (recipe is below), Baked potato, more salad.

Friday - I am hoping Grandma will feed us!

I quit buying fried chicken strips and make my own, my kids love them and have no idea they are good for them.
Chicken Strips

3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts pounded fairly thin and cut into strips, all fat trimmed
ground flaxseed - I grind this in my coffee grinder
flour
Garlic salt
ground black pepper
pinch of paprika
beaten egg

Mix flaxseed & flour together (breadcrumbs works in place of flour) shake in some garlic salt, pepper and paprika. Dredge Chicken strips through the egg, and coat with flour mixture. You can also put it all in a ziploc bag and shake, if I do this I skip the egg.

You can bake these in the oven at 350 until crispy, turning once, or put a tablespoon of the oil of your choice in a frying pan and fry them til golden brown.

No matter which way you do it it is healthier than the kind you buy in a fast food restaurant, and if you are brave take a look at the nutritional info on a bag of Tyson Chicken Strips. It is scary.

You an find more menu planning tools and help at Menu Planning Central.


What's For Dinner?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think our daughters are a lot alike. lol
I never thought to add flax seed to chicken fingers, great idea!

Unknown said...

Our son was once a picky eater but when he turned 11 he started trying different foods. We just continued introducing foods to him, including him in cooking and shopping. He's now 16 years old and enjoys his favorite sandwich - Mozzerella, Basil and Spinach with Pesto on a Hoagie Roll.
Have a terrific week.