Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Welcome to Hurricane Season

Today marks the start of the Atlantic Hurricane season. Yippee. Not my favorite time of year. NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) predicts 14-23 named storms, but fear not they have not been right in years. According to Gene Sloan from USA Today some accuse them of "fear mongering" (I love that work "mongering"). Whether or not you believe the predictions, the fact is the Atlantic Ocean is a sand bar away from most of us here in Southeast Volusia County, so it is a good idea to pay attention and be prepared.

Here are some helpful links to assist you in your quest for preparation. My preparation includes one word. RUN. If a hurricane heads our way you will see the back end of my car as I head north. Yes, I am a chicken and proud of it.

WKMG Local 6 has a good tracking page on their website.

NOAA Preparation Guide - tons of links about everything here, the one stop shop for hurricane preparation. (Since they incite fear it is the least they can do)

Last but certainly not least.....if you are in doubt about how to secure your vehicle in the event of a hurricane, The Fail Blog can help!

0 comments: