Friday, October 29, 2010

Letter To My Children

I am taking a break from my normal programming to speak to my children....and maybe to yours too.

Hello My Baby Girl,

I know you sat next to your best friend this week and listened to her talk about going to a Halloween party that you were not invited to, I know your heart was breaking but you waited to get in the truck on the way home to say, "why, was I not invited?' I was you once...we all were, at one point or another we were all not invited to the "party"..snubbed by the popular kid or picked on by...whoever. You are beautiful and special and please remember...nothing ruins your life forever. NOTHING. No matter how bad it is today, it will be forgotten, if not tomorrow, next week, next year, it will be forgotten. One more time, Nothing ruins your life forever....NOTHING.

My Darling Boy,

To the kid who has gone to 5 schools in 7 years and is the only kid at the baseball field whose father has never seen him play. You are awesome..I know I am not the best at playing catch and throwing batting practice and I suck at math. I get that you have had a couple kids picking on you at school, I know you are 6' tall and skinny and goofy, I also know that you play baseball, lift weights and run and the day will come that you will be 6'5" and be a stud and the kid with the trumpet case will be begging to be your friend. Please remember.....nothing ruins your life forever. NOTHING. No matter how bad it is today, it will be forgotten, if not tomorrow, next week, next year, it will be forgotten. One more time, Nothing ruins your life forever.....NOTHING.

Someone I consider a friend discovered her 14 year old son hanging in the garage last week. He killed himself because he had been picked on by kids at his school. His mother had no idea. His father was not around.

So, to my beautiful children,  never think something cannot be fixed.  NOTHING you do will ever keep me from loving you.  NOTHING you do could be so awful you can't get past it.

And if someone is mean to you, ignore it if you can. If you cannot, tell someone. If you ever need help and can't talk to me, call your uncles or write a letter, there are many people who love you.   

Finally, treat others as you want to be treated and don't be mean.  Don't let other people be mean.
Stand up for what you know is right. Protect those who aren't as smart or confident or as kind as you.
Treat people's feelings carefully. Be that person you admire.

I love you and I know you know all this but I have to tell you.....it's my job.



Love,

Mom

0 comments: