Friday, November 21, 2008

Gifts of Love

Most of us have had economic issues at one time or another. I myself have had a rough two years. I and my family have made alot of sacrifices for the good of my children. I can tell you about my brother meeting me at a gas station with his credit card to fill my gas tank so my son can get to baseball practice, or showing up at my house with bags of groceries and dog food, or my other brother in another state sending me cash to pay bills....We won't even talk about the money my parents have spent in order to keep my children safe and happy. Things are now looking up for us, but that is not the case for many other people in our community. There are too many people right here in New Smyrna and Edgewater that are not lucky enough to have a good support system and are one step away from not being able to feed their family.

That is where Gifts of Love comes in, they are a non-profit organization headquartered in Edgewater, primarily known as a Food Pantry, they also donate school supplies and shoes to local children. They are located at 820 W. Park Ave., directly east of the Elks Lodge. The organization receives no federal, state or local funding and is dependent on the generosity of private enterprise, churches and individuals for all the food and supplies they distribute.

Donations 0f food, personal items, paper products etc. can be taken to the office, 820 W. Park Ave., Tues. and Thurs., 9:30 am-2:30 pm. They are also open during those hours for those that need help to get it. No questions asked.

So...while you are shopping this week, fill an extra bag with paper products or canned goods and drop it off, they will appreciate it and you will be helping someone right here in your community.

Gifts of Love can be contacted at (386) 423-5257.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halifax Urban Ministry on Douglas. THey also do good work!