Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Am Scrooge



This will be my one and only "Bah Humbug" post of the season. I have read these posts about doing more with less. I totally agree, my problem is doing more or less with nothing. It has been a tough year in recruiting and working at home in general. I am thankful I do not have to spend money on gas and clothes and after school care but it is nice to have a job with a consistent salary. My children have had to worry about too many adult things this year, 9 & 11 year olds should not be worrying about how Mom is going to pay the electric bill, but they do. Now it is Christmas time and I am sitting here trying to figure out how to get them something that they want. My son has talked about an iPod Touch since September, not happening, my daughter is more worried about if I can take her shopping to get something for Grandma, Grandpa and her Uncles. She has not asked for one single thing, I did hear her tell her brother she would like a game for her Wii. This is the very first year we have not done Christmas Cards, goodies, teacher presents all that stuff. I think there are alot of people in the same boat we are and I know this year especially we have plenty to be thankful for. I just had to take a break from all the Holiday Cheer to feel sorry for myself and my kids for a minute. I am done now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read and article that stated the average child receives far more for Christmas than they had expected.

I have seen this play out in years past with our own. We have dramatically scaled down this year, opting for more home made creations present of "love" vs. the ones you purchase from department stores and big box retailers.

Surfing the net to find the "best" price has certainly been a focus in our household as in many this holiday season.

2009 like all new years will hold the promise of better economic footing for our country and hopefuly all of us!

Just remember even Ebenezer Scrooge had a happy ending! No more Ba Hum Bug Rox, enjoy the true reason for the season!

God Bless you and yours!
KJ

Ann said...

The true meaning of Christmas is more about love than things. I am sorry you aren't able to do for your children what you want, but they are blessed this Christmas, as in all Christmas', with the best gift of all--their mother's love. Merry Christmas!